Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Beginning

Patricia was not my birth name. Like most Chinese immigrant, my father changed our given Chinese name to become more Americanized when my family moved from Taiwan to California when I was 3 years old. I don't have much of a recollection of my childhood years growing up in Taipei. My father use to joke that he's surprised I can still speak Chinese, though the help of marrying a local Chinese later on did play a big factor. I am what you would call, in slang, a typical "Twinkie". I've always thought I'd marry a caucasian and live happily ever after somewhere in the heart of America, but my life took a big turn when I just turned 21. Never in a million years would I have guessed, nor my friends who knew me before my 'transformation', that I'd end up married to a native Chinese and living in China today.

No comments:

Post a Comment